• Jennie Webb Woodring

Vestry minutes - October 2018

Minutes of September 17, 2018 Vestry Meeting

Present: Charlie de Kay, Tim Patenode, , Susan Cherco, Jim Kelly, Gary LaBranche, Ann Searles, Corky Siegfriedt, Dustin Vincent, Joanne Wilson, Jennie Woodring

Absent: Kevin Goodman, Chris Motogawa, Monique Austin, Cynthia Doucet, Dave Turner

The meeting began at 7:33 pm with a reflection from Charlie

The Sept 17 vestry minutes were approved with the correction of the spelling of Kati Olsen’s name.

Stewardship/Gala– TimPatenode

Gala - Preliminary reports show income of about $20,000 from the gala, with some slots for buy-in parties still to be filled.

Susan offered thanks on behalf of the vestry for Tim Patenode’s and Judy Royal’s work as gala chair.

Dustin mentioned that St. Matthew’s budgets approximately $25,000 for all fundraising. This year there were fewer silent auction items by design.

Stewardship – committee met and allocated names of parishoners to call. Participation is at 42% (fundraising) and 38% (participation) to date.

Sound System

Charlie reported that there is a desire to have a sound system and cameras to stream services at events that exceed the capacity of the sanctuary.

Kevin continues to evaluate the current system; even without this upgrade, the system is in need of improvement/replacement of components. Currently, the lavaliere mics are no longer functional and outdated; a new receiver and mics would cost about $4000.

Tim noted that the model used with the new Hartrey stairs (someone to research options, get quotes, follow through to completion) would be ideal for this sound system project. No one has been identified to champion this project.

It was suggested this might make a good Eagle Scout project; Ann Searles will talk to Boy Scouts at Rotary, and Charlie will talk to the Meyers family at St. Matthew’s.

Mutual Ministry Review – Charlie

Andrea Mycen from the diocese may be available to meet with vestry in November for this review if pre-work can be completed before then. Two vestry members are needed to collate results of a survey. Wardens, rector and vestry complete the survey, which assesses opinions on the positive and negative aspects of the work of the church and ways of improving in the future.

It was suggested that last year’s vestry retreat goal – to be a more welcoming place – be used as an extra question as the basis by which to gauge progress during the last year.

It was also suggested that the goal appear on each month’s agenda as a ‘north star’ to help keep the vestry focused.

Annual Meeting – Charlie

Annual meeting will be January 27, with an informative finance meeting after the 10:30 service on the preceding week.

The meeting will elect new vestry and junior warden, reflect on the past year, and include a financial piece and thanks to outgoing vestry.

In particular, a second financial vote will be needed to allow the release of Trust funds.

There was discussion about how to make the meeting special. Tim suggested a repeat of last year, with a possible special musical component. Other suggestions included asking the congregation to offer up ideas about how we can be a more welcoming congregation, possibly by writing on and displaying Post-its.

Charlie invited members of the vestry to work on this with him.

Being a Welcoming CongregationCorky Siegfriedt

Corky showed a welcome bag containing a mug and church information that she received from another church as an example of something St. Matthew’s could do. It was suggested the cost of the bags could be underwritten.

Rector’s report – Charlie

A handout was distributed

Items discussed:

Terri Morrissey, in formation for the deaconate, is back at St. Matthew’s after having spent a year away. Charlie would like to celebrate this in some way.

Possible – December 19 or 20 – a blue Christmas service, designed especially for those who have difficulty during the holiday season. The worship team will discuss the possibility.

St. Matthew’s/St. Andrew’s Pentecost report – Ann Searles

The group is collecting calendars for the refugee group they are supporting. Calendars can be dropped off in a collection container at church.

There is an event at the Holocaust museum on

Executive Session – a brief executive session was held.

Not confined to executive session: Tim will send out reminders of coming vestry meetings, though it was noted that meetings are held regularly on the third Monday of each month.

The meeting concluded at 9:15.

Next meeting will be November 19, 2018.

Submitted by Jennie Woodring

0 views
SUNDAY SERVICES

8:00AM

Holy Eucharist with sermon

St. Mary's Chapel @St. Matthew's campus

10:30AM

Holy Eucharist with sermon 

@St. Matthew's sanctuary

WEEKDAY MORNING PRAYER

ADDRESS

847-869-4850

 

2120 Lincoln Street

Evanston IL

 

info@stmatthewsevanston.org

OFFICE HOURS
SOCIAL MEDIA
  • Grey Facebook Icon
RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY E-NEWS HERE

9:30AM | Tuesday and Thursday

Morning Prayer

St. Mary's Chapel @St. Matthew's campus

10:00AM | Wednesday

Morning Prayer

St. Mary's Chapel @St. Matthew's campus

7:30am - 3:30pm

Monday - Friday

© 2019 by St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, Evanston