top of page

Vestry Minutes - December 2018

Present: Charlie de Kay, Kevin Goodman, Chris Motogawa, Tim Patenode, Susan Cherco, Cynthia Doucet, Jim Kelly, Ann Searles, Corky Siegfriedt, Dave Turner, Dustin Vincent, Joanne Wilson, Jennie Woodring

Absent:, Monique Austin, Gary LaBranche

The meeting began at 7:31 pm with a reflection from Charlie

The November vestry minutes were approved.

Financial report –Chris Motogawa

A handout was provided.

Of more than 80 pledges already submitted, the average pledge has increased 5% -10% on average.

The finance team is projecting a deficit of $35K-$40K, which is less than the $80K predicted at the beginning of the year. Julie will send pledge status reminders to parishioners.

Vestry voted in August to authorize the release from the trust of up to $50K; a second vote is required to fully authorize withdrawal.

Moved: To authorize the withdrawal from Trust I of up to $50,000 to pay for expenses not covered by available funds; (moved – Tim Patenode; seconded – Monique Austin) passed unanimously.

It was noted that the funds are to be used to cover the 2018 deficit, not to exceed the actual total of the deficit.

Building and Grounds – Chris (on behalf of Damian Barta)

A handout was provided.

Repairs have been made to chapel lighting electrical system. Outdoor sconces need to be repaired or replaced. Electrician Vladas Vakarauskas will determine if restoration is possible.

The memorial wall needs to be expanded/updated. Susan Rundle has provided preliminary sketches.

The congregation will be invited to participate in small committees to address each of these projects.

It was also noted that the ejector pump, which supports the basement toilets, needs to be replaced. Chris will talk to Damian about estimates.

Sound system – Jim Kelly and Kevin have been investigating. Two proposals were discussed, each of which proposes different stages of development of the system. At a minimum, approximately $11K will be needed to upgrade the system to include lavalier mics. Stage II would replace speakers for about $16-20K; Stage III would address streaming and providing mics for the choir.

Jim offered to talk to Dave Dakich, who is in the music business, for advice.

The sanctuary roof leaked during a windstorm; Hanson will be repairing broken tiles.

Annual Meeting

The annual meeting will be held after the 10:30 service on Sunday, January 27. A finance information meeting will take place Sunday, January 20.

Ministry reports are due to Kevin January 13, for inclusion in the annual brochure.

Associate Rector’s report – Kevin

Confirm not Conform class is going well. Young people have collaborated with adults to write this year’s Christmas pageant. It was noted that in recent years, the early Christmas Eve service has seen more in attendance than at the later evening service. This service could, in future, be streamed to reach a broader audience.

Rector’s Report – Charlie

A handout was provided.

Charlie noted that Kevin has been newly appointed as Dean of the Evanston Deanery. The vestry offered their congratulations to the Very Reverend Kevin Goodman.

Charlie suggested that Damian could give a building tour to vestry at a coming meeting.

St. Andrew’s Pentecost partnership – Cynthia

The group is committed to addressing the refugee crisis. A hosted event will be held May 17 and 18. The May 17th event will be open to the public, followed by a smaller group workshop on the 18th. $3000 will be needed to pay for speaker travel and related expenses.

In ongoing committee work, 100 calendars to be used for appointment planning were given to Refugee One.

Immigrants in the US– Ann on behalf of Roberta Buchanan

The UCC church is distributing postcards which express opposition to expanding the Kankakee detention center for immigrants who are currently being detained. Charlie and the vestry agreed to allow the postcards to be made available at the back of church for people to sign, on December 30 along with other Sundays.

With consensus from the vestry and Charlie, Kevin will recognize the Feast of the Holy Innocents on Sunday, December 30.

Executive Session – a brief executive session was held.

The meeting concluded at 9:00.

Next meeting will be January 21, 2019.

Submitted by Jennie Woodring

42 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

MINUTES St. Matthew’s Vestry Meeting September 20, 2021 The meeting was held via Zoom. Present: Connie Conley, Charlie de Kay, Damon Doucet, Kristin Jacobsen, Karen LaBranche, Bob Purse, Bill Siegfrie

MINUTES St. Matthew’s Vestry Meeting August 16, 2021 The meeting was held via Zoom. Present: Penelope Boardman, Connie Conley, Charlie de Kay, Damon Doucet, Kristin Jacobsen, Karen LaBranche, Bob Purs

MINUTES St. Matthew’s Vestry Meeting July 19, 2021 The meeting was held via Zoom. Present: Charlie de Kay, Damon Doucet, Kristin Jacobsen, Bob Purse, Bill Siegfriedt, Steve Steiber, Melissa Warden, Pe

bottom of page